Friday, December 18, 2009

Myles Gauthier

Harpoon head Hollow Pendant, Copper, 2009


In Jewellery and Metal work I have learnt about how to properly advertise my art work, for example through the internet and radio.
I also learnt different kinds of art. I didn’t know art could go so far. Self-portraits and even the wire art are beautiful. Working with charcoal to make self-portraits was challenging but it was very fun because I hated charcoal and I was never good with paintings and things like that. I like to push myself further in anything I do because when I push myself I learn more then I did if I hadn’t pushed myself.
Before I thought my art work wasn’t good enough to sell, but during this semester I learnt that self-motivation was a key part in selling your art work. If I hadn’t done the art sale I still wouldn’t think my art is good. Seeing people who actually wanted my art work was a good feeling, and now every time I make art I think about that feeling and motivate myself to work up to it.
Advertising also played a key part in selling my art work because without it I might not have sold very much. Learning different ways of advertising like handing out flyers is not only worth it but also a fun process. Making the flyers or even talking to people about putting your art work out there is very exciting.

In the jewellery studio I learnt about soldering and how to make my own tools. I was always scared to go anywhere near a torch but now it doesn’t scare me. Soldering was very interesting to see because of the way the metal melted together and how it looks like the solder isn’t even there. I didn’t think making tools was even possible, now I see how it is done and it’s a bit of a long process but it’s neat to see how different metal reacts to heat and how you have to be careful of how you heat up the metal.

My favorite part of this course was meeting new people. I think everyone was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment